By Susan Salyer
On Tuesday August 23, 2022 The Lawrence County Fiscal Court had a Special Meeting at 10AM at the Lawrence County Courthouse downtown Louisa, Kentucky.
Lawrence County Judge Executive Phil Carter was absent so Magistrate Rick Blackburn led the special meeting. (See video above). Other LC Magistrates attending were John Scaggs, Mouse Halcomb and David Pinson. LC City Officials attending were LC Sheriff Chuck Jackson, LC Deputy Judge Vince Doty, LC Clerk Chris Jobe and Crystal Smith LC Deputy Clerk.
1. Opening Prayer
2. Pledge of Allegiance
3. Call Meeting to Order – LC Magistrate Rick Blackburn welcomed everyone and explained that in Judge Carter’s absence It would fall on him to lead the meeting.
4. Set County Tax Rates – (Real Estate, Tangible and Documented Watercraft/Aircraft) LC Clerk Chris Jobe discussed the Tax Rates for all taxing jurisdictions in Lawrence County, Kentucky. School, Public Library, Health District, Extension Office, Soil Conservation, Louisa Area Fire & Rescue and Fire Protection all have Tax Rates provided to the public. Motion by Mouse Halcomb 2nd by David Pinson. (See chart below)
5. Accept Special Districts Tax Rates – Motion by Mouse Halcomb 2nd by David Pinson.
6. Authorize PVA not to print any tax bill less than $10.00 – Motion by Mouse Halcomb 2nd by David Pinson.
County Clerk Chris Jobe said the county accepted the “compensating rate” like most of the other taxing districts did.
He said that means the actual tax percentage will go down this year because of rising valuation of property. The amount of tax money received by the court will remain the same as last year, he added.
7. Approve Tourism Budget – LC Tourism Chairman Wes Kingsmore discussed the LC Tourism Commission had completed the Tourism Budget and are ready to move right along with the Tourism in Lawrence County, Kentucky. There is a lot coming up soon. Motion by Mouse Halcomb 2nd by John Scaggs.
(No Public Comments allowed at Fiscal Court Special Meeting)
8. Adjourn – Motion by Mouse Halcomb 2nd by David Pinson.
LC TOURISM BUDGET (See video above.)