LC TOURISM MEETING FINALIZING BICENTENNIAL EVENTS…
By Susan Salyer
On Monday June 20, 2022 The Lawrence County Tourism Committee met at The Fred M Vinson Museum at 5:30PM. In attendance were LC Chairman Wes Kingsmore, Treasurer Brenda Hardwick, Secretary Susie Chambers, Debbie Hill, Rita Parker, Chris Jobe and Keith Chaffin. Others in attendance were Deputy-Judge Vince Doty, Tamyra New, Randy Hall and Chapman Fire Chief Billy and Amanda Lemaster.
Special Guest – Randy Hall Owner of “Randy’s Red White and Blue Backyard BBQ” (located behind Joe A Young Insurance) has a new burger for “Bicentennial Burger Week” Presented by the LC Tourism Committee.
“Bicentennial Burger Week” is designed to promote local non franchise restaurants by having a drawing for an expensive grill from participants who buy a Bicentennial Burger from a participating local eating place…
Special Guest Randy Hall said, “There are participating restaurants in Louisa that will be having “Bicentennial Burger Week” participating restaurant’s would create a burger for the week and anyone purchasing a burger will be given one chance in a drawing for a Blackstone Gas Grill and (Ten) 10 – $50 Gift Certificates that will be given out. The restaurant’s will have Burgers to eat and vote for. The winner’s will be announced at the Fourth of July Parade on July 2, 2022. This Burger Contest will start on June 24 and end July 1, 2022.
Old Business: Bicentennial Progress – Keith Chaffin –
“Starting on July 1, 2022, is Kick Off for Lawrence County’s Bicentennial Celebration, there will be singing in the Louisa Mini-Park from 6:30-8PM,” Chaffin said.
- On Saturday July 2, 2022, the Biking and Hike start at 8AM, Displays at the
- LC Public Library will open at 9AM and there will be Arts & Crafts.
- Fred M. Vinson Museum opens around 10-10:30,
- The Parade starts at 11AM, Past Governor of Kentucky, Paul E. Patton will be the Honorary Guest in the Lawrence County Bicentennial Celebration Parade and at Noon the Main Stage will Open.
- There will be a Brass Band playing My Old Kentucky Home,
- Bobby & Teddi Cyrus will be in the parade,
- Bluegrass will play till 4PM,
- Religious Singing will include Michelle Wallace, Zach and Savannah Wright and Corduroy Brown and Vendors,
- At 4PM Rubber Ducky Race and Hot Dog Eating Contest.” Deputy-Judge Vince Doty said “Me and Phil Carter are going to have a Pie-Eating Contest, a blueberry pie eating contest!
4. Approval of March and April 2022 Minutes – Motion by Chris Jobe and 2nd by Rita Parker. (No Discussion, None Opposed)
5. Approval of March, April and May 2022 Financial Report – Motion by Susie Chambers and 2nd by Keith Chaffin. (No discussion, None Opposed) But there was no financial report provided for the public. Treasurer Brenda Hardwick was contacted Tuesday and she said she had left the copy at the Fred M. Vinson Center. She said she will have a copy ready by this Friday. The tourism board gets funding from a percentage of the Motel&Restaurant tax in the county as well as grants from the state and the county. According to discussion at the last meeting the tourism commission hasn’t produced a working budget “for the past two years.”
6. New Business
⁃ Community Involvement from Blaine/Fallsburg/Webbville/Chapman –
- Fire Chief Billy Lemaster from Chapman, Kentucky was at the LC Tourism Meeting asking for a donation for Chapman Park for Fourth of July Celebration. $800 was given to Lemaster by the tourism board to help with costs of fireworks and food by the Tourism board on a unanimous vote.
- Blaine Fire dept. will also have a fireworks display as will
- Fallsburg’s Creekside Cabins Fireworks Friday July, 1, 2022..
Website grant report – The LC Tourism Committee received a Grant from the State of Kentucky for $8,399.00 for a new website. The bid (that won) was $9,000. and the board decided to pay the extra $600 out of contingency funds. The money will be used to build and design a state-of-the- art website for the Tourism Committee.
Bicentennial Events in Lawrence County – Activities downtown Louisa on Friday and Saturday, July 1-2.
⁃ Fireworks at Creekside Cabin and RV Park- Friday, July 1.
⁃ 4th of July Boat Parade at Yatesville Lake Marina July 2
⁃ 4th of July Parade in Fallsburg -Saturday, July 2 – 4 p.m.
7. Public Comments – None
8. Adjourn Meeting – Motion by Keith Chaffin 2nd by Debbie Hill.