Preston’s 7 point plan for Lawrence County
1. Infrastructure- We need new water and sewer plants- I plan to assist and help the City of Louisa and surrounding water districts to provide clean and safe water for ALL citizens of Lawrence County. I spent over 5 years on the Louisa Utility Board, and I have seen how hard the City works to maintain our water and sewer systems. I would like to work alongside them to update and improve a long-outdated system. We have seen the devastating effects in quality of life and declining property values from neglecting failing water treatment plants in Martin County. I will not allow this to happen in Lawrence County. Our people need to continue to have safe, clean water. Furthermore, our system must be updated to facilitate future industry and growth.
Roads- I plan to create a road and maintenance plan that is driven by safety and priority, not politics. I will be transparent in this plan with a publicized list of roads by priority. No more black top roads to nowhere for political reasons. We have a limited budget, and it must be done by priority. The worst roads will be first on the list, no matter where you live in Lawrence County. Who would have ever believed in 2022 our children would be riding school buses 100 miles a day on county-owned gravel roads. We will always maintain gravel roads. One man doesn’t decide when and where this happens. This is your tax dollars at work. I will not politic with your gravel and roads.
2. Jobs- We must get ready. If a corporation came to our county looking for an opportunity tomorrow, our current infrastructure could not support it. We have no plan in place to entice or support any major industry. Currently, if our people aren’t small business owners, work in our school district, or in our local hospital systems, we must leave to find work. I have established working relationships with industry leaders who are looking to come to Kentucky and grow in our region. I want to prepare Lawrence County to welcome this growth. Job opportunities and growth can help the next generation of Lawrence Countians to be able to stay home and raise a family. While we prepare ourselves for new industry, I will work with our small businesses and assist them to flourish and create growth so new jobs can be created.
3. Tourism- What a beautiful county we share. We have so many special places to visit. Yatesville Lake, The Falls, Eagle Ridge Golf Course, are just to name a few are tourism gems for Lawrence County. We also have recreational opportunities that need to be promoted. We have a nationally ranked Haunted House, several beautiful campgrounds, and local businesses that are creating national buzz. Beyond this, we can grow tourism in Lawrence County. We need to reopen our Horseback Riding trails and expand and create more tourism areas to include ATV and RTV riding trails. We need to build on our County Fair and Rodeo and find a place for it that is accessible for all. I will work with the Army Corp of Engineers to create more recreational opportunities at Yatesville Lake. We shouldn’t have to go to surrounding counties to have fun, we can do it here. Camping and trail riding are some of the fastest tourism related categories in the nation. We can expand and bring in even more tourism to grow our locally owned small businesses and create new opportunities.
4. Volunteer Fire Departments/Rescue Squads- Families in Lawrence County depend on our Volunteer Fire Departments and Rescue Squads. Often, these brave men and women are the first responders who are there when our lives are in danger, to prevent us from losing our homes, and when we need the “jaws of life.” The dedication and service they provide is second to none, yet they are grossly underfunded. I plan to increase funding within our current budget to provide our VFD with the safety equipment, vehicles, and training they need to keep our families safe. Their dedication deserves better.
5. Recreation- We can all agree the children are our future. I want to create and maximize opportunities here in Lawrence County for recreation to include children, families, and seniors. I will create a new Lawrence County Park that will include youth and adult sports fields, walking tracks, and an indoor sports complex. Our complex will be using the Knott County sports complex as its example and we will be able to expand and create even more. This will provide healthy opportunities for children, families, and seniors here at home. Many of our families travel around the country seeking such opportunities- we can do it here in Lawrence County. Our community needs a safe place where our children and our families can go for fitness and fun.
6. We must fix our problems- No more just talking or putting a band-aid on a bullet hole, we must walk the talk. Our animal shelter needs help. We must support it, fund it correctly, and do our part to stop animal abuse and cruelty in Lawrence County. We know our shelter workers put much time and effort into our animals, and I want to support their needs. As an animal lover, I will work with others to come up with a viable solution that shows love and compassion and deals with our issues.
7. For our seniors, my dedication to the people who worked so hard before us, will be second to none. We can do more then a few meals on election year. We need to update our facilities, improve recreation opportunities, and bring back Meals on Wheels to Lawrence County. We need safe walking areas, community gardening areas, more opportunities to cook and bake, enjoying music and dancing and volunteering on special projects. Together we can work on what your needs are and make it happen!
I have a plan for growth for Lawrence County, while keeping our small-town feel. I have planned the work and will work the plan. I have the connections at the State and Federal levels and in private business to promote success for Lawrence County.
And I am ready to work FOR YOU.
I have Proven Experience to get things DONE!
Let’s make it where we all WIN!
Policy, planning, and priorities over politics!
D. Heath Preston
for Lawrence County Judge Executive
A new day, a better way.
PAID FOR BY CANDIDATE