Kentucky Power Winter Storm Preparation
Saturday, January 15, 11 a.m.
Weather forecasts are calling for a mix of precipitation bringing snow accumulation, sleet and light icing for eastern Kentucky. This weather system is expected to move through the Kentucky Power territory beginning early Sunday morning and could cause travel problems and power outages.
Storm Response Efforts
In addition to Kentucky Power’s crews and business partners, additional resources from outside our territory will assist if needed. Storm restoration is an all-hands-on-deck approach.
Before the Storm
While Kentucky Power crews prepare, customers are urged to do the same. Check with those who are elderly or have medical conditions to ensure they have a plan in place.
Assemble an emergency outage kit that includes the following items, at a minimum:
- Charge your cell phone and other devices
- Have on hand flashlights and fresh batteries
- Have extra water for drinking and cooking
- Portable heater (oil or gas)*
- Non-perishable food and a manual can opener
- Manufacturers’ instructions for power-operated equipment such as the garage door, generator
- Important medicines you need to take. Better to locate them while the power is still on.
* Caution: Some portable heaters can cause fires or other safety hazards when not used as specified by the manufacturer. Be sure to review the safety specifications of your specific model before using it during an outage.
For More Information
- Customers can report outages and check the latest restoration information for their account anytime at kentuckypower.com/outages or by downloading the Kentucky Power mobile app at kentuckypower.com/app.
- Customers can report outages online, on their mobile device or to our Customer Operations Center at 1-800-572-1113.
- Information also is posted on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/KentuckyPower and on Twitter at twitter.com/KentuckyPower or @KentuckyPower.
Next Update: Sunday, January 16, 2 p.m.