In Tuesday’s ‘Zoom’ Lawrence County Fiscal Court voted to accept Blaine Fire Department’s intent to re-apply for a CDBG Grant for their new fire station. The project has been previously approved but never completed last year. Much speculation has been made as to the funding and placement of the modern new facility.
Lawrence Co Deputy Judge/Executive Vince Doty explained the situation like this:
“The Blaine Fire Department originally applied for a CDBG Grant. At that time the most a fire department could receive was 500,000. The lowest bid was 572,000 which was received in November 2020. This year the government raised the amount a fire department could ask for to 750,000. So in order for the fire department to receive more funding for the project they will need to re-apply for the CDBG grant.”
Court members voted ‘aye’ on all agenda items during the online meeting attended by magistrates John Scaggs, Mike Halcomb, David Pinson, and Rick Blackburn and Judge/Executive Phillip Carter as well as invited members of the media and the public online.
In other Zoom action the court:
- Approved a resolution for new Mack truck lease
- Approved a resolution to apply for a 911 Services Board Grant for a new phone system
- Advertise for bids on the sale of two Mack dump trucks and one tractor.
- Approved a 20 year lease agreement between Lawrence County and the Lawrence County Fair Board for property to use for Fairgrounds. The Fair Board will agree to a lease for the property the county owns on Town Hill above the new youth soccer field. The land is being leveled now for the fairground. This project just started about a week ago.
- Approved a proclamation honoring School Board members in the month of January. (See Lazer publication)
Deputy Judge Vince Doty announced that the county used over 13,000 tons of asphalt to pave county roads in 2020 and used over 21,000 tons of stone on county roads for the year.
Deputy Judge Doty also announced that in the first two years of this administration Lawrence County has received over five million dollars in solicited funds.
“That means funds which had to be sought after and applied for such as grants, road funds and projects as well as FEMA work to name a few, Doty said. “These are mainly funds which have to be completed then request reimbursement for.”