It is Fourth of July weekend and typically things are in full swing but unfortunately with Covid-19 plans have had to be adjusted or cancelled altogether in 2020. Here is a list for the surrounding counties on festivities for the 4th:
Louisa will have the annual parade at 10am (line up at 9:30am). There will be no candy or any items thrown or to be given out. Fireworks starting at 9pm. Social distancing is encouraged with both events.
Inez has canceled their Fourth of July festival due to Covid-19 but will still be having their firework show to start around 9:30pm. Fireworks will be shot from the same place as always and everyone is welcome to come park throughout the town and watch the show.
Paintsville is having their fireworks at the same time that it has been in the past. They don’t have any other festivities happening due to Covid-19.
Here are a few fun facts about the Fourth of July:
- Congress didn’t actually vote for independence on July 4.
- The Fourth of July didn’t become an official holiday until over a century after America declared its independence.
- During the Revolutionary War, George Washington gave his soldiers a special treat for the holiday.
- Thomas Jefferson and John Adams both died on July 4, 1826, the nation’s 50th birthday.
- Calvin Coolidge is the only president to be born on July 4.
- The United States isn’t the only country to celebrate independence on July 4.
- July 4 is the biggest hot dog day of the year