Lawrence County has been chosen as one of four Kentucky county fair boards that were awarded $300,000 from the Kentucky Department of Agriculture (KDA) for new construction projects, Agriculture Commissioner Ryan Quarles has announced.
“These grants will enable four deserving local fair boards to provide their citizens with a more enjoyable fair experience,” Quarles said. “Fairgrounds are important to rural Kentucky because they serve as the hubs of our communities, hosting county fairs, livestock shows, and other events that honor our agricultural traditions.”
Lawrence County Extension agent Laura Opell said the local board members are excited about the grant received for improvements at the fair grounds, located behind the Extension Office.
“We are very excited for the Lawrence County Fair and the progress it has made these last few years. The fair board and volunteers have worked so hard to make this happen and to grow the fair,” Maggard told The Lazer today. “We are proud of their hard work and dedication. We want to support them as much as possible in this process and look forward to the future.”
The amount and the recipient of each grant includes:
• $93,750 to the Greenup County Fair for a new livestock pavilion
• $62,950 to the Jessamine County Fair for a new restroom facility
• $43,300 to the Lawrence County Fair for a new livestock barn/arena.
Each grant will fund 75 percent of the total cost of the project, with the local fair board matching the other 25 percent. Each project must be started within 90 days of the date the project was awarded and must be completed within nine months.
Any incorporated fair board in Kentucky may apply with the State Aid to Local Agricultural Fairs Program for grants in the amount of $10,000-$100,000. Grants may be used for infrastructure or facility improvements, capital construction, or purchase of non-permanent tangible items such as bleachers or restaurant equipment.
Applications must be submitted to the KDA’s Shows and Fairs Division and postmarked no later than Oct. 1 of each year. The Kentucky County Fair Council reviews the applications and selects the winning proposals.
For more information about the State Aid to Local Agricultural Fairs Program, go to kyagr.com.
From Kentucky Department of Agriculture
Lazer editor and publisher Mark Grayson contributed to this story.