Lawrence County Board of Education held their regular monthly meeting on Monday June 17, 2019 at the LCHS Library.
The board discussed changes to LEES traffic problem by adding an extra lane at the school to leave room for all traffic to flow properly all day.
The board then heard a presentation from S.J. and Sara Lycans on bringing a new challenging MOCK Trial Team/Club to LCHS.
The board discussed how to reach more students that didn’t have college in mind and offer some hands on training classes and building projects.
The board heard from all the various principals on how to make their school’s Test Scores better and meet their goals.
COMMUNICATION: Dr. Rob Fletcher touched on the various programs, conferences and potential founding of the Kentucky Rural Education Association. One program is the Tiny House Project which has been approved and the students will be able to learn how to build the house using their own two-hands.
The use of a new app for the School was discussed and will be used to have all social media information in one place. For Desktops, Tablets or Cell Phones will all access the same information through various social media outlets such as their personal School Website, Facebook, Twitter, etc. This will also save the school money by combining all the information together.
REMINDER: Superintendent’s Evaluation/Close of the Fiscal Year Board Meeting will be held in a special meeting on June 25, 2019 at 5:30pm.
- Approved minutes of the May 20, 2019 Regular Meeting and May 30, 2019 Special Meeting & Tentative Budget Working Session. Motion by Barbara Robinson, second by James See.
- Approved Claims and Orders of the Treasurer Motion by James See, second by Madelene Roberts.
- Approved the Monthly Financial Report: Motion by Barbra Robinson, second by James See.
- Consent Agenda to approve expenses, contracts and services. Motion by Garnett Skaggs, second by Barbra Robinson.
- Approved creation of an extra duty coaching position for LCHS Mock Trial Club/Team. S.J. and Sara Lycans did a very good job of explaining what and how a Mock Trial works. For Example, the students would be given the chance to learn and practice various legal positions then compete with other schools already doing the Mock Trial Club/Team. The schools compete with a student Judge and Jury to see which schools wins and moves on to the next competition, possibly regionals. The Mock Trial Club would run from Nov – March. Motion by Garnett Skaggs, second by Madelene Roberts.
- Review/Approve 2019 – 2020 District & School Professional Development Plans. Motion by James See, second by Madelene Roberts.
- Approved 2019 – 2020 School Fees. Motion by Barbra Robinson, second by Garnett Skaggs.
- Approved Consider/Approve to award bid for banking services for 2019-2020. Inez Deposit Bank was awarded the bid. Motion by Madelene Roberts, second by Garnett Skaggs.
- Approved District Funding Assurances Fiscal Year 2020. Motion by Madelene Roberts, second by Barbra Robinson.
- Approved 2019-2020 District Travel Reimbursement Rate at $0.40 a mile. Motion by Garnett Skaggs, second by James See.
- Approved District Accounting Manager to serve as primary submitter. Motion by Barbra Robinson, second by Madelene Roberts.
- Approved Section 504 and ARC Chairpersons for 2019-2020 to include Director of Special Education. Motion by James See, second by Garnett Skaggs.
- Approved First Reading of Annual KSBA Policy Updates. Motion by Madelene Roberts, second by James See. And will also be reviewed at June 25, Special Meeting.
- Approved Review of Annual KSBA Procedure Updates. Motion by Garnett Skaggs, second by Madelene Roberts.
Approved abolishment, creation and changes regarding positions. Motion by Barbra Robinson, second by Madelene Roberts.
Approved Updated Lawrence County Schools 2019-2020 Salary Schedule. Motion by James See, second by Garnett Skaggs.
Approved to acknowledge receipt of Superintendent’s Personnel Action/Update. Motion by Madelene Roberts, second by Barbra Robinson.
ADJOURNMENT: Motion by James See, second by Madelene Roberts.