January 7, 2017
Our main concern for tonight and tomorrow will be the cold over the next few days. It is likely that we get into at least the low single digits and possibly even below zero. Everyone should guard against frozen pipes and if they must travel have an emergency kit with them in case they run into problems. We have a slight chance of getting some light snow overnight tonight from the SE storm but it appears everything should stay south of the county. Over the weekend especially tomorrow night we have another slight change of some lake effect snow showers but no major accumulations expected at this time.
We ask that everyone check on elderly neighbors and any outside animals during this cold outbreak.
Lawrence County EMA – Director
CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING WARNING
Carbon monoxide poisoning is a silent, deadly killer claiming about 1,000 lives each year in the United States. Such common items as automotive exhaust, home heating systems and obstructed chimneys can produce the colorless, odorless gas.
The gas can also be produced by poorly vented generators, kerosene heaters, gas grills and other items used for cooking and heating when used improperly during the winter months.
1. NEVER run generators indoors. Open a window slightly when using a kerosene heater.
2. NEVER use charcoal to cook indoors.
3. NEVER use a gas oven to heat your home.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include sleepiness, headaches and dizziness.
If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, ventilate the area and get to a hospital.