The area's leading online source for news!
Louisa-Lawrence Co, KY

In God We Trust - Established 2008


June 4, 2018

(EDITOR'S NOTE: THE LAZER sent a copy of this story to Lawrence Co. Supt. Robbie Fletcher for comment but he has not responded as yet. We will add his comments on what local schools will be doing to help keep students safe next year as soon as we get them.)

Bowling Green Independent School District officials are learning how to better support students affected by traumatic experiences and boost their overall mental health at school.

Principals, guidance counselors and other administrators will be training in trauma-informed care practices Monday.

“It’s an approach to understanding where kids are coming from,” said Elizabeth Forbes, a school psychologist leading the district’s trauma-informed care program.

Between bullying, domestic violence, divorce and even school shootings, there’s a broad range of traumatic experiences that can disrupt students’ ability to learn at school.

But these problems can be more than just distractions for youngsters. Research indicates that ongoing trauma and toxic stress can negatively affect reasoning, memory and learning in a child’s developing brain, Forbes said. Students exposed to trauma score lower on measures of cognitive ability and academic assessments, she said.

But that influence doesn’t have to be permanent for a child.

Teachers and administrators can correct students’ negative thoughts about themselves and the world by learning to see behavior through a trauma-informed lens, Forbes said.

That’s what the training session Monday will be about.

“What they’re getting is going to be a crash course in what trauma-informed care is and how to establish a trauma-informed school,” Forbes said.

One of the goals of the training, Forbes said, is to teach personnel how to work with mental health providers, pediatricians and other services in the community.

School district personnel will also learn how to approach discipline problems from a trauma-informed perspective.

Under the approach, teachers and administrators try to get more information about why a student is continually acting out in school instead of just punishing the student repeatedly with little success at correcting the bad behavior.

Students exposed to trauma have learned not to trust adults, Forbes said.

“They live in a state of fight or flight all the time,” she said.

That means school employees have to learn to build a connection with students before they expect to teach reading, writing or other essential skills.

The training session will be the first step in implementing trauma-informed schools throughout the district. “We feel like it has to start from the top and come down,” she said.

By Aaron Mudd
Bowling Green Daily News


November 15, 2017 

The Kentucky Community and Technical College System (KCTCS) and the University of Kentucky (UK) have signed a reverse transfer agreement to help more students earn associate degrees beginning in the 2018 spring semester. Former KCTCS students that transfer to UK before earning an associate degree can have UK credits applied toward the KCTCS degree, if the credits for each institution align.

“Thousands of KCTCS students transfer to four-year universities each year, and many do not complete a credential before doing so,” said KCTCS President Jay K. Box. “We are focused on student completion, and this will help many who transfer to UK, but didn’t complete a program at KCTCS. Having an associate degree will make them more attractive to employers as they work on a bachelor’s degree or if they don’t complete it.”

Students will be eligible for reverse transfer when they have met the following criteria:

1. Have earned at least 25 percent of credit hours required for their degree at a KCTCS college.
2. Have earned at least three semester credit hours from UK.

3. Adhere to all policies and guidelines related to student admissions and transfer at both UK and KCTCS.

“Kentucky colleges and universities educate and prepare tomorrow’s leaders with the necessary skills to succeed in the workforce and as members of their communities,” said President Eli Capilouto. “The process of earning a college degree is different for everyone and can take myriad pathways in coursework and opportunity. UK’s work with KCTCS is emblematic of the strong partnerships across institutions that help students navigate those pathways to a credential.”

The new agreement was created in collaboration with the National Student Clearing House, which assists institutions with compliance, administrative, student access, accountability and analytical needs. The agreement helps reach goals set by Complete College America and others that are calling on postsecondary institutions to increase education attainment levels.

For more information on how to apply for the reverse transfer degree, contact Jay Blanton at 859-699-0041.

From Kentucky Community and Technical College System


Date: 11-13-2017


Fresh off the heels of her latest album release and a weekend stint on “Saturday Night Live,” it was announced Monday morning that Taylor Swift‘s Reputation Stadium Tour will include a stop at the Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium on Saturday, June 30.

All stops on the 27-city tour were released Monday morning, and all tickets go on sale Dec. 13. Louisville is the seventh stop on the tour, which starts on May 8 in Arizona.

“Reputation,” which is Swift’s sixth studio album, was released Friday, Nov. 10. Its first single, the catchy and vengeful “Look What You Made Me Do,” broke multiple records within hours of its release — with more than 10 million streams in a one-day period.

Swift is a familiar face in Louisville, having brought each tour to town since at least 2008’s “Fearless” album.

There are no details on the cost of the tickets, but fans can register online to purchase them in advance.

By Sara Havens
Insider Louisville